Friday, July 19, 2013

Claws of the Cat launch!

My friend Susan Spann held her debut novel's book launch last night at Face in a Book in El Dorado Hills, California. It was a fantastic evening and I'm so glad the world now gets a chance to read her incredible book, Claws of the Cat. It's the first in a series featuring a medieval ninja crime-solver, Hiro Hattori, and his Portugeuse priest sidekick, Father Matteo. Here's a taste of the evening, rendered in photographs!
 

At Chantara Thai beforehand.

A group of us ate beforehand, steps away from the bookstore, at Chantara Thai. It was lovely to get a chance to meet Susan's parents who had flown up from Southern California for the event, as well as other friends of Susan's I hadn't met before. What a nice group of people. And thank you Paula and Spencer for dinner!
Just before the reading. Look what a nice display the bookstore made behind her!

Face In A Book is a really great bookstore, and I'm so happy Susan had her launch there. It's a wonderful independent bookstore that supports its local authors.

The author with scads of her books; the piles were depleted ere the night was over!
Susan read from Chapter Four of her book and then answered questions from the audience. I asked a question I already knew the answer to, because it's so impressive. I asked, "How far out have you plotted this series?" THIRTEEN BOOKS INTO THE FUTURE, PEOPLE! I can't even conceive of that kind of planning. Frankly, I don't know what I'll be doing 13 days from now, let alone 13 books from now. Susan's  contract with Minotaur is for a trilogy but I have no doubt whatsoever they will be signing her on for the rest soon.

Adjourned for coffee afterwards with friends
Afterwards some of us walked a block away to Starbucks (I love Town Center). I made everyone display their books on the table...and poor Susan had to sit on the floor. Not pictured are two other sweethearts who came: Diana and Heidi.

Postscript 1:
My husband read the first chapter the next morning, standing in the kitchen as he oversaw French toast production. He said, "Her prose is like Hemingway." I kid you not!

Postscript 2:
Someone else in the household thought the title was "Laws of the Cat" (which is funny because Susan is an attorney), and proceeded to list what those might be:
  • Do not scratch a human
  • Always brush your fur straight
  • Always put the right catfood in your catbowl
  • Always do what the police cat says

On that note, good night! Congratulations, Susan. I couldn't be prouder or happier for you.





. . . . . 

2 comments:

Susan Spann said...

I love this post! Thank you so much!! The photos are awesome, and I think it's HILARIOUS that "someone" thought I was writing the LAWS OF THE CAT. I might have to keep that in mind ... there's probably a novel in there somewhere also :)

Thank you so much for coming to the signing, and inviting such lovely people, and the coffee afterward was a blast! I seriously cannot thank you enough.

Annamaria Alfieri said...

Thanks, Erika, for this. I wish I could have been there. This post is the perfect next best thing.